CALL FOR APPLICATIONS : Junior Communications and Stakeholders Management Assistant
March 9, 2023
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
COMPANY NAME: Project Coordination and Management Unit (PCMU)
“Regional Hub on Climate Action Transparency for Central African States
POSITION TITLE: Junior Communications and Stakeholders Management Assistant
REFERENCE : 05_2022/HUBC/DERNADR/CEEAC
PLACE OF POSITION: Douala – Cameroon
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Full-time individual performance contract
DURATION: 1 year fixed-term contract (renewable)
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 15/04/2023
START DATE: 15/05/2023
Terms of reference
- CONTEXT AND RATIONALE :
The Commission of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) is the executive body of the regional economic integration instrument in Central Africa. Its constitutive treaty of 18 October 1983 was the subject of a revision signed on 18 December 2019 and ratified to date by all 11 countries of the sub-region. It covers all the activities of public institutions, private companies, civil society and the populations of the region in a dynamic and integral perspective based on five pillars: peace and security; the common market; the environment and natural resources; regional planning and infrastructure; gender and human development. Economic growth, social well-being and the preservation of nature are built through the regional integration that ECCAS is developing among its eleven member countries.
Humanity is facing one of the crucial challenges of the present times, namely climate change and the degradation of the earth’s resources, which threaten the human living environment and undermine the economic development efforts of countries, especially those of the developing world.
To address this crisis, under the aegis of the United Nations, three major environmental conventions were adopted in 1992 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, including the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), to which all ECCAS member states have adhered. Each of these States is committed to its implementation. In view of the ever-increasing threats and in order to strengthen climate action, the parties to the UNFCCC adopted the Paris Agreement in December 2015, which unlike the Kyoto Protocol, is binding on all parties that commit to it, through a Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), which is due to be renewed and made more ambitious every five years. This is the exercise that the EU has just carried out.
Aware that the implementation of the NDCs implies profound changes for our economies which must take low-carbon development trajectories and aware of the difficulties that ECCAS member states are enduring in the implementation of the existing Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) framework under the UNFCCC and which must now face more requirements linked to the implementation of the Paris Agreement, With a strengthened Transparency Framework under the UNFCCC, the ECCAS Commission has obtained resources from the Climate Action Transparency Initiative (CATI), administered by UNOPS, for the creation of a Regional Hub on Climate Action Transparency for Central African States, with a view to assisting Member States in the establishment of comprehensive and sustainable MRV systems and to encourage the exchange of experiences among States. Its objectives are to :
1. Create a centre of expertise for climate action transparency
2. Assess the needs and priorities of each country
3. Building capacity in the Congo Basin
4. Create a network of national experts and officials
5. Disseminate tools and guidelines to support transparency
6. Supporting resource mobilisation
This Hub is a collaborative approach involving the Congo Basin countries and various institutions and technical and financial partners supporting Transparency in Climate Action.
For the management of this new initiative in Central Africa, the ECCAS Commission has created a Hub Coordination and Management Unit based at the CAPC-AC in Douala, Cameroon. As part of the staffing of this unit, it is planned to recruit a Communication and Stakeholder Management Assistant.
In this regard, the Project Coordination and Management Unit invites motivated nationals from ECCAS member states to apply for the position of Junior Assistant in Communication and Stakeholder Management
- OBJECTIVE :
The objective of the position is to ensure smooth and up-to-date communication of the hub’s actions to the various stakeholders in accordance with the state of the art and also in accordance with the specified communication requirements and contractual conditions.
- MISSION :
The Assistant is responsible for communication with the different stakeholders related to the Hub’s activities. To this end, he/she will :
- Ensure stakeholder engagement and communication support: workshop logistics, information dissemination, etc. Writing workshop reports.
- Ensure updated information on the hub, including monitoring of transparency capacity indicators (expertise, gender and social groups (e.g. youth), organisations, sectors, levels, etc.)
- Provide feedback to managers on your own level of engagement in Hub activities.
- Identify areas to increase engagement and improve outcomes.
- Maintain a link and visibility of the Hub’s activities with the media in all ECCAS member countries
- Animate the Hub’s website and ensure that it is regularly updated and linked to the DERNADR and Commission websites
He/she will work in direct and close collaboration with the ECCAS Communication and Public Relations Department, so as to ensure that information on the Hub’s activities is updated and taken into account at the Commission level.
- DETAILS OF THE MISSION :
Under the supervision of the Hub Coordinator, he/she is responsible for the communication aspects of the Hub’s activities to the different stakeholders and ensures that information on the Hub’s activities is updated.
In this capacity, he (she) carries out the following activities
- Disseminate information to stakeholders;
- Analyse communication needs and objectives (e.g. targets, messages) and propose media content that takes into account the specificities of the stakeholders;
- Coordinate and monitor the dissemination of content to all stakeholders and regularly update the communication content according to the Hub’s activities;
- Develop stakeholder and gender-sensitive communication strategies;
- Manage the logistical aspects of events organised by the Hub as part of its communication missions
- Make a selection of the press review on the basis of media and themes;
- Prepare reports of the different workshops and communication actions.
- Animate the Hub’s website
- Collect stories and images to create content and stories on social networks
- Provide strong contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesising lessons learned and disseminating best practice.
- CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The Junior Communications and Stakeholder Management Assistant of the Hub should have a specialised background in marketing/communications and international relations, meeting the following criteria and references
- University degree (BAC+4 minimum) in international marketing, political science, international law, public affairs, communication, journalism or equivalent.
- Good understanding of analytical and thematic transparency in adaptation, mitigation and support.
- Good knowledge and understanding of green finance and resource mobilisation issues.
- Good communication and engagement skills.
- Fluency in French and English, good knowledge of Portuguese and Spanish would be an asset.
- Have a successful professional experience in a similar position of at least 3 years, preferably with sub-regional organisations and networks in Central Africa;
- Good knowledge of the UNFCCC process and the Paris Agreement
- Experience of using standard office software (Word, Excel, Email, Power point, Access) and a perfect command of the internet;
- Ability and predisposition to work in a multicultural team
- Be no more than 34 years old
- Female applicants strongly encouraged
- PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
- Report on the rate of stakeholders aware of the Hub’s activities
- Produce satisfactory and timely reports;
- The content of the communications and their audience
- The ability to implement communication programmes
● A working knowledge of French and English is essential.
● Knowledge of another language (Spanish, Portuguese) is desirable.
Motivated candidates are invited to submit their application (in the first instance): CV (with three references) + cover letter to the President of ECCAS Commission
to the following email address
- hubclimat@ceeac_eccas.org with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
No later than April 15, 2023
 Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, CAR, DRC, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Chad,